Now that you have entered the world of dab rigs, it only makes sense to look forward to the next step—dab mats. What is it? What is it used for? What are the pros? Here is your all-in-one FAQ piece.
What is a Dab Mat For?
If one would have to oversimplify, merely calling it a base pad would be a fair estimate. A silicone dab pad is a simple yet effective tool for a variety of purposes. Essentially serving as a foundation structure for your concentrate gear, it is also surprisingly cost-effective for the most part. Consider it the new rolling trays of concentrates.
Other than protection, the dab mat also has other utilities. For instance, it also ensures less spillage while using the dab rig. It is also used to keep your immediate surroundings clean. The list of actual utilities is pretty unfathomable for a tool so simple.
How Does it Protect Your Rigs?
To understand this, it would be wiser if we broke it down into simpler and bite-sized pieces. The ways in which a dab protects your rig transcends both immediate and distant purposes. Here is how:
- Dabbing: Quite obviously, the dab mat is a purposeful item that is needed to protect your dab tools. When you are essentially dabbing, you can expect your tools to get hot and sticky. Since the dab mat is constructed out of silicone, you need not be afraid of the heat.
- Smoking Accessory: Keeping your surroundings clean is an act of protecting your dab rig itself. A rig ideally should be protected from micro-abrasions that may arise due to improper cleaning of its immediate surroundings. With the dab mat, you will be bereft of this inconvenience.
- Coaster: Folks have also reported usage of the dab mat as a coaster. In case you do not have one, you can expect a lot of bumps and hiccups while trying to place the dab rig in a stable sense of equilibrium.
How Do You Use a Dab Mat?
This is the easiest bit. Since a wax pad is essentially a platform that serves as a base for your dab tools, the use of it is pretty understandable too. All you need is a stable surface like a table, or even your floor—if you’re into that kind of dabbing.
The rest is pretty intuitive. Place your mat on the ground, and you’re good to go. Enjoy the dab like no other.
Are They Worth it?
Ah, the age-old question of worth and value. When it comes to the dab mat, consider the following and make conclusions for yourself.
- Environment-Centric: Not only are silicone dab mats durable, but more so in terms of heat resistance. Additionally, these are not subject to tearing, melting, and abrasions. Say hello to long-term sustainability.
- Non-Toxic: We might not know about modern-day relationships, but silicone dab mats are bereft of any toxicity. There is also no chance of releasing any toxic chemicals or by-products. Rest assured, it is safe to operate with.
- Cleaning is no Hassle: With the good old soap and water, you can easily get rid of micro-dirt particles and keep your mat clean. This does not require much effort.
- Shock Absorbers: Silicone mat pads also serve as great shock absorbers. If your dab tools tend to be made of glass, and if you also happen to be clumsy—fret not, your mat pad will save the day.
- Other Uses: Barring the sphere of dabbing, mat pads can also be used in areas such as baking and insulation. After all, it is valid enough to use the properties of silicone to its fullest.
- Custom Novelty Pads: If you want your own novelty custom dab mat, you can put any picture on it. Simply put any logo or image then put your water pipe on it.
As you can see—the use cases of dab mats are countless. Do you still think they are not worth it?
Can You Dab on a Dab Pad?
If there is a more conclusive revelation to water being wet, it is that the use of a dab pad can be—dabbing. Of course, you need to keep a few things in mind, such as cleaning and a level surface. Otherwise, dab pads are pretty useful for what they do.
Are Silicone Dab Mats Heat Resistant?
The short answer is yes. The long answer is that, owing to the chemical properties, microstructures, and deducing by using other scientific jargon, the mats are pretty resistant to heat.
This comes in handy because your other dab tools might become hot and sticky, so having a pad to rely on becomes quintessential.
Silicone vs Recycled Rubber
For the most part, silicone is better suited as a dab pad vs recycled rubber. Not only does it do all the aforementioned things (traits) with grace, but is compatible with a variety of liquids like cold water, and even fire-resistant hydraulic fluids.
The only aspect where rubber would be more useful is perhaps higher resistance to abrasions. Either way, you are much better off using a silicone pad.
You also have a plethora of options to choose from, when it comes to dab pads. As long as you are sure about your requirements, you are bound to get one most suited for your needs.